Used Vehicles’ Import Rules

USA   Canada   Australia   United Kingdom




USA, Hawaii, Guam & Saipan

Import regulations for used vehicles from Japan to The United States of America


What kind of vehicles can be imported in the USA?


Used vehicles 25 years old or older from the date of manufacture can be imported legally into all 50 states of the United States, including Puerto Rico and territories such as Guam, Saipan, and Hawaii. Japanese small trucks and kei dump trucks are the most popular vehicles in the USA and its territories. 


All of the rigorous compliance processes do not apply to these vehicles; whether right-hand drive or left-hand drive, a mini truck, a mini dump truck, a minivan, a mini SUV, or any other vehicle, are authorized to be imported into the United States if they are 25 years old or older. There is no need to comply with EPA emission requirements or procedures for compliance with Federal safety, bumper, or theft prevention regulations.


Which means that importing 25+ year old vehicles are easier to import, clear customs at the destination port and the total cost of the entire process is very cheap saving you huge bucks.




  • Click here to explore our inventory of vehicles that can be imported to the United States and email us the vehicle you're interested in.
  • If you can't find what you're looking for, click here to email us a request and we'll find the perfect vehicle for you.
  • Once you've decided on a car, send us an email with your complete name, physical location with zip code where you may accept delivery by DHL or other courier services, your phone number, and email address, and we'll send you an invoice.
  • Make your payment to our company's bank account, the details of which will be included in the invoice.


The shipment process begins after payment is received. The entire procedure takes less than 60 days from the date of payment to the date of shipment.


Once your vehicle has been sent, we will give you all documentation via DHL with a tracking number and an expected arrival date for the vessel transporting your vehicle. The shipping company will also send you an arrival notice.


You can either clear customs at your destination port yourself or with the help of a customs broker. The entire procedure is really simple, and you can do it on your own; we will help you every step of the way.


When you deal with our company, you will realize how simple it is to import a used automobile from Japan.


We will provide you with the following documents;


● Invoice
● Car Export Certificate
● English translation of Car Export Certificate
● Bill of Lading
● Insurance Receipt


Documents you need to fill at your destination port:


● Entry Summary 7501
EPA Declaration
● DOT Form HS-7 Click here to download


The details mentioned here are based on an understanding at the time this document was published. Because laws and regulations are always changing, please check the NHTSA website for the most up-to-date information.


For details on the shipping ports in the USA, visit here.


If you have any questions or comments, contact us here and our customer care agent will be ready to answer you.


Also please note the import regulations mentioned above are all based on our knowledge but we do not accept responsibility of your laws.  It is the duty of each importer to check the import rules on their side in the USA from the concerned before buying and importing a vehicle from our company.  Vehicle once sold and left Japan cannot be returned or exchanged.





Import Regulations for used vehicles from Japan to Canada


Importing a used vehicle from Japan to Canada is a straightforward process. Canada does not require Pre-Export Inspection in Japan. A vehicle can be legally imported and registered in all of Canada as long as it is more than 15 years old from the date of production, except Quebec, where the vehicle must be more than 25 years old from the date of manufacture. Mini dump bed trucks and mini 4x4 trucks are the popular imports in Canada.


Click here to see vehicles that are approved for importation for customers in the Quebec area.


Click here to find suitable vehicles for Canada for buyers outside of the Quebec region.


Once you've decided on a car, send us an email with the following:


● Stock number of the vehicle
● Your full name
● Your physical address and zip code
● Your phone number
● Your destination port


After this, we will send you an invoice.


Once the payment is received in our company's account, we will start the booking procedure and transport your vehicle to your destination on the first available ship.


Vehicles can be exported to Canada by Roll-on/Roll-off to the ports of Vancouver, New Westminster, and Halifax.


Container shipping to Vancouver, Halifax, Westminster, Regina RailRamp, Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Winnipeg, and Saskatoon is available.


Before the car arrives at your target port, you must arrange for a customs clearance broker to handle all of the paperwork and have your vehicle cleared smoothly.


If you want to handle the customs clearance yourself, we will walk you through the process and help you save money. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require any assistance.


For customs clearance in Canada, you will require the following documents from Japan.


● Invoice
● Export Certificate
● English translation of the Export Certificate

● Marine Insurance receipt
● Bill of Lading


All these documents are sent by courier to the address of the Consignee immediately after the boat has left Japan waters for Canada.


Need assistance? You can contact here our ever-ready customer care agents for direction.





Import Regulations for used vehicles from Japan to Australia


New legislation / law has made it permissible to import any car 25 years or older regardless of the make or model!!! This applies to all RHD cars in all states, as well as LHD vehicles in Victoria and Western Australia. You can view all automobiles in stock that are 25 years or older and are suitable for import into Australia by clicking here. Suzuki Jimny, Mitsubishi Pajero Mini and mini Japanese trucks are the top imports in Australia.


Aside from the 25-year-old-vehicle import regulation, the automobiles on this list can be imported without the use of a RAW (Registered Automotive Workshop). Click here to check the RAW Scheme.


Not interested in the classic models? Then click here to see if you can find any vehicles that are newer than 25 years old but are still suitable for the Australian market.


Both RoRo and Container vessels travel from Japan to major Australian ports such as Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Fremantle, Darwin, and Adelaide.


Vehicles to Australia are shipped FOB (free onboard). This means you don't have to pay us in advance for the ocean freight; instead, you may pay it straight to the shipping company's office at your destination port after the car arrives.


The overall body weight of the vehicle, as well as its length, width, and height, determines the ocean freight. As a result, the ocean freight for each vehicle is unique. You can email us to find out how much it will cost to ship your vehicle to your destination in Australia.


  • Once you've picked which vehicle to import, send us an email with the stock number and we'll send you an invoice for payment.


  • Once payment is received, we will send you the Export Certificate of the vehicle, its English translation, detailed pictures of the car from all sides, dashboard and interior pictures that clearly show the seating capacity, engine room, and chassis plate also called a Vehicle Idendification Number plate (VIN Plate) picture, and proof of year and month of manufacturing.


All of this information is required for you as an importer of used cars from Japan to apply for Import Approval. The Import Approval process takes 3 to 4 weeks at most. We will transport your vehicle to your destination after the Import Approval is complete. Until then, we can keep your vehicle in storage for free. Check here our Free Storage offer.


What you will get from us;


● Invoice
● Export Certificate
● English translation of Export Certificate
● Insurance Receipt
● Bill of Lading


When you work with our firm, importing a used automobile from Japan to Australia is a simple and painless process.


If you have any questions or comments, please email us at, and our English-speaking staff will provide you with a response within 24 hours.




United Kingdom

Import Regulations for used cars from Japan to Uk

Importing used automobiles from Japan to the UK is as simple as ABC, whether you are a car dealer or an individual customer. Pre-shipment inspection in Japan is not necessary. Simply browse our collection and choose the vehicle that best meets your requirements. If you cannot find what you are searching for, simply click Find Me This Vehicle to send us your specifications, and we will offer you the exact vehicle through our associate dealers located throughout Japan.


What kind of vehicles can be imported in the UK?


● Classic vehicles manufactured or initially registered more than 40 years ago, with no ‘substantial alterations' have been done to the vehicle in the previous 30 years, such as changing the chassis, body, axles, or engine to modify the way the vehicle operates, you do not need to undergo an MOT.
● If you are bringing in a used car from Japan that is less than three years old, it must pass the SVA and ESVA tests.
● It should pass the SVA (Single Vehicle Approval) also called as IVA (Individual Vehicle Approval), ESVA, and MOT tests if it is between 3 and 10 years old.
● If it is more than ten years old, it should only pass the MOT test.


As a result, most importers in the UK choose to import used vehicles from Japan that are more than ten years old, as registering in the UK is straightforward. Popular imports in the UK are mini trucks from Japan, used Japanese minivans and wheelchair minivans.


After deciding on the vehicle needed, we will send you an invoice. To issue and email the invoice, we will require;


● Vehicle’s stock number
● Your full name
● Your complete address and zip code
● Your phone number
● Your destination port


We will begin the booking process after money is received in our company's account, and have your automobile delivered to your location by the first ship available.


Vehicles can be sent to the UK FOB, which means that you have to pay the ocean freight to the shipping company's local office when your vehicle arrives at your destination port.


Documents required from Japan are as follows:


● Invoice
● Export Certificate
● English translation of Export Certificate
● Marine Insurance Receipt
● Bill of Lading


Your chosen used automobile from Japan can be exported to all main UK ports such as Southampton, Bristol, Newcastle, Liverpool, and Tilbury through Roll on Roll off (RoRo) or Containers.


Do not hesitate to hit the contact us button should you need help at any stage of the purchase process. We’ve got friendly customer care professionals that will walk you through the process.
Be rest assured that you’ll get the exact help that you require.






Le Pont can export used Japanese mini trucks and other vehicles to all destinations in the Caribbean, Pacific Islands, New Zealand, South America, Africa, Asia, and the Middle East.


Feel free to contact us for more information on Import Rules via email at or via Whatsapp at +81 90 6070 8999 if your country is not mentioned above.


Search by Stock No:

Search by Year:

Search by Make:

Videos Blog Reconditioning Process Why Us How to Buy Import Rules Terms & Conditions FAQ Testimonials Free Storage Turbo & Non Turbo Diff Lock & Axle Lock Privacy Policy Glossary

Mini trucksMini dumpsMinivansMini SUVsMidsize TrucksMercedes BenzSold Cars